Breast Cancer Awareness Month, also called National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, is in October, and was started in 1985 by the American Cancer Society and Imperial Chemical Industries. The initial purpose of the month was to promote mammograms as the first line of defense against breast cancer. In 1992, Breast Cancer Awareness Month got a marketing makeover when it received what has arguably become one of the most well-known symbols of our generation: the pink ribbon. The month has, in recent years, become an international event for many breast cancer related organizations and non-profits to raise funds and promote awareness, research, and education.
It can be a lot of fun to take part in breast cancer walks, golf tournaments, and attend fundraisers whose proceeds go to promote breast cancer education. But how are you personally celebrating October? Are you turning your breast cancer awareness into breast cancer action? Here are some ways you can take action and make a difference in your life and the ones you love.
- Make an appointment for a mammogram if you are over 40
- Do your monthly breast self-exam
- Set up a reminder system for your monthly breast self-exam and yearly mammogram (or use our free Alarm Clock)
- Quit smoking
- Talk to your kids, siblings, parents and grandparents about your family’s cancer history
- Schedule a clinical breast exam with your primary care doctor or gynecologist
- Start an exercise program
- Pack your kids a healthy lunch (or teach them how to pack their own!)
- Eat an extra serving of fruits or vegetables at every meal
- Talk to your sister, best friend, or mom about getting her mammogram (or go together!)
- Start a garden, for the exercise and fresh organic veggies
- Reduce your alcohol intake, or cut it out completely
- Sign up for an exercise class
- Ask a teacher at your local school to let The Maurer Foundation do a breast health workshop in their class
- If you are overweight, start a new healthy eating plan and lose weight
- Talk to your kids about breast cancer risk factors like smoking and alcohol
- Start a corporate wellness program at your company
- Reduce your portion sizes if you are overweight
- Start a daily family walk tradition
This October we are raising funds for the Cancer Prevention Foundation (a 4 star rated charity by Charity Navigator). You can donate through our Facebook page (click here) through October 31st and your donation will help stop cancer before it starts!
If you are participating in a Breast Cancer Awareness golf event this year, we have lots of pink ladies golf accessories and clothes to choose from including pink golf balls, golf towels, club covers, golf gloves, visors, tees, and cute pink golf shirts, skorts and jackets. Shop our Think Pink category now.